Planyway time tracking for Jira
Whether you’re already using time tracking in Jira or just want to get started, Planyway is there to make it easier for you.
Firstly, please read the article on configuring time tracking in Jira. It guides you through the basic setup and time tracking options in Jira, like time display format, working hours per day, editing permissions, etc.
Two views: Calendar and List
To see a list of work log entries from all connected projects, select the List view in the time tracking mode. The work logs from the latest 7 dates are loaded to the list. To see earlier work logs, click Load more at the bottom of the list.
To visualize work log entries on the weekly calendar, switch to the Calendar view in the time tracking mode.
Time Tracking filters
Quick filter Only me will allow you to see only your own work log entries in the time tracking mode.
You can apply the usual filters in this mode as well. However, kindly note that when the Only me filter is on, active “by members” filters will be overwritten.
Log time in the time tracking mode
The time tracking mode in Planyway offers several ways of logging time on Jira issues.
- Start the timer. Select a parent issue, add a note if necessary, press the Start timer button to launch it. Once you stop the timer, a work log entry will be added.
- Log time manually. Select an issue you worked on, add a note if necessary, define the date and time period or just add a duration, then click + Log time to add a work log entry.
- Create work log entries by drag & drop. Drag and drop issues from the list section to the calendar in the time tracking mode to create multiple work log entries for these issues. One item can be dragged and dropped to the multiple time slots.
- Add work log entries by click. Click anywhere on the calendar in the time tracking mode to add a work log entry. Stretch an entry up and down to adjust its duration. Search for a parent issue, add a note, then click Save.
If you add a work log entry in the all-day section, it won’t have a specified time period.
Log time on Jira issues
Besides adding work log entries in the time tracking mode in Planyway, you can add them to issues via their editing dialogue.
- Click on an issue to open it. You can open issues by clicking them on the Planyway calendar, timeline or list in the issue panel.
- Find the time tracking block and select ••• > Log work.
- Fill in the time tracking fields and hit Save
Edit work log entries
You can edit your own work log entries if you are granted with the Edit Own Worklogs permission in Jira project settings. You can also edit other people's work log entries if you are granted with the Edit All Worklogs permission.
In the List view. You can modify a work log’s description, duration or time period by clicking on the corresponding field.
In the Calendar View. There’s a couple of ways to edit work log entries in the calendar view.
- Move a work log entry around the calendar to change its date and time. Stretch up and down to adjust the duration.
- Click on a work log entry on the calendar in the time tracking mode to open its editor. Modify the description, duration, date and time.
In the Issues’ Work Log. Locate a parent card in the Planyway issue panel and open its work log. Find the work log entry and select Edit. Change the description, date and time, click Save.
Visualizing work log entries on the calendar and timeline
To show work log entries on issues on the calendar or timeline, click View in the navigation bar and select work log entries.
To show the estimated and logged time on issues on the calendar or timeline, select the corresponding toggles in Fields.
When the estimated time is exceeded, the logged time on issues will be highlighted in red.
Delete work log entries
You can delete your own work log entries if you’re granted the Delete Own Worklogs permission in Jira project settings. You can also delete other people's time log entries if you're granted the Delete All Worklogs permission.
In the List view. Сlick X to the right of a work log entry. Hit Delete in the opened window to confirm the action.
In the Calendar view. Hover over a work log entry, right-click on it and select Delete from Jira.
In the Issues’ Work Log. Select an issue in the Planyway issue panel, open its work log. Find the work log entry you’d like to remove and select Delete.